Different Herbal And Herbs, Different Needs

9:57 PM

I have often wondered why my Rosemary and Peppermint turned olive green last summer. Upon my research, I discovered that my Rosemary leaves turned olive green because the soil was too wet from watering daily while my Peppermint was burned because it was exposed to strong summer sun.

Actually, both ‘herbs’ and ‘herbals’ are classified as grass or ‘Yerba’.  These type of grass originated either from dry hillsides, roadsides, gravels or even in swamps and watery areas. Based on their origins, these herbs and herbals have different sunlight and water requirements.

To take better care of your herbs and herbals, I have summarized the herbs according to their sunlight and watering requirements and the specific needs of our best-selling herbals. But first, let us identify the different sunlight and watering requirements.

The different sunlight requirements are:

FULL SUN       - Sunlight exposure the whole day                              
PART SHADE  -  Do not expose under strong sun. Do not expose to sunlight for a long time                     
TOTAL SHADE - Minimal to no sunlight

Watering needs, on the other hand, are:

PART DRY            – Water only when surface of soil is dry
MOIST                    – Water daily

A.  Herbs

1. Full Sun/Part Dry Herbs: Basil, Rosemary, Sage, Tarragon


         
a. These herbs love long exposure to the sun.  They prefer to be warm and dry.
b. Water thoroughly when the surface of the soil is mostly dry. These plants do not want daily watering or else the leaves or needles (ex. Rosemary) will discolor.


Get your Basil, Rosemary and Tarragon for at Php60/seedling bag at



2. Full Sun/Moist Herbs: Philippine Oregano and Italian Oregano

Philippine Oregano

   
a. These herbs exude more aroma with more sun exposure.
b. They want to be watered daily.


Get your Oregano for Php60/seedling bag at


3. Part Shade/Moist Herbs: Peppermint and Stevia



a. These herbs prefer mild sunlight and daily watering.


Get your Peppermint for Php60/seedling bag at  https://herbalandherbs.wordpress.com/

4. Total Shade/Moist:  Java Mint, Japanese Mint and all Mints

Java Mint

a. Mint is a breed of Spear Mint and Water Mint. It wants total shade and can only take very mild sunlight. Strong sunlight wilts its leaves. The pots may be positioned behind taller plants or  at the window sill  etc.

NOTE: Herbs prefer to be under the roof to avoid over-soaking from rain, which will disturb its roots.

B. Herbals

1.  Aloe Vera – Part-Shade/Part Dry


Get your Aloe Vera  for Php60-80/seedling bag at 

2.  Ashitaba/Tomorrow Leaf – This herbal can be placed anywhere but if exposed under strong sun, just water leaves and the soil daily and thoroughly.


   
Ashitaba shows different colors depending on its sun exposure:

a. If placed under morning until afternoon sun, it develops maroon stems and darker leaves.
b. When exposed to less sunlight, these develop green stems but develop bigger leaves that are light green to yellow green.
c. When it receives little water but is exposed to strong sun, the leaves turn yellow while stems turn maroon. Also, the leaves turn pale when there is no organic fertilizer.


Get your Ashitaba for Php60-80/seedling bag at 


3. Gotu Kola – Part Shade/Moist. It has so many roots that the soil easily dries up.



Get your Gotu Kola for Php60/seedling bag at 


4. Citronella – Full Sun/Moist. Also, this herbal comes from the family of lemongrass. To maintain the fragrance, these need compost monthly.


Get your Citronella for Php100/seedling bag at 


General Care Tips:

1. Pour water – The use of a watering pot (Regadera) or dipper is preferred on soil and plants to be able to gauge the amount of water poured.
- Use of water hose: Make sure the water flows carefully and thoroughly reaching  the stems up to the roots.  Too much water pressure from hose damages and disturbs the roots.
2. Holes of Pots for herbals and herbs should be at the bottom so that water can drain through properly.
3. Transfer to a bigger pot – For water to be drained well and to prevent erosion, the bottom of the pot should have pieces of broken pot, coarse sand or spagamus moss.  Then, a basic mixture of soil is suggested.

Basic Soil Mixture

1/3 of coarse sand the (to keep soil  well-drained and aerated)
1/3 garden soil and
1/3 compost (for nutrition)
4. Nourish with organic fertilizer or compost once or twice a month. 

Normally, the first thing that comes to mind when we hear the word ‘herb’ is for food flavoring,  while ‘herbal” is for natural medicine.  Unknown to many, these herbs are also herbals.  Every meal becomes special with their burst of flavor and delectable food presentation that provide body resistance and cure.

Now that I learned about the plants’ specific needs, they are gratefully reciprocating the effort with healthier leaves and stronger aroma. And when herbals and herbs are well-nourished, they joyfully produce the vitamins and minerals to strengthen and balance the body system so the body can heal itself.  Thus, as I nourish these plants, they, in turn, nourish me and my family – a symbiotic relationship.

Happy 2013 ! Happy Valentines!  May your garden fill you with nature’s pleasure!  May your garden of life bloom evermore!

EM-EM,
Herbal Gardener

Sources:

HOLISTIC HERBS by Jennie Harding © Paragon 2002
HERBAL HOME REMEDIES by Jude C. Todd © B Jail Publishers Ltd. 2012

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. When i first found out that I'm HSV_2 positiv, my world came crashing dow" Not only did the guy that i caught it off ditch me, but he actually told all my friends that he got it from me. I found myself lying alone on my bed, depressed and crying at the thought of never being in a relationship or having childre. I knew i could never tell a guy i liked about my herpes After all, i knew that if i had been the other way around i most probably would have run a mile. A good friend of mine told me that she'd been in the same situation and she recommended me to a herbal doctor called Oshuku who helps her got rid of her own herpes so i contaced him and he prepared me his herbs and root which i used for weeks It's really amazing how thing works. I recently got married with the love of my life. my husband and I thank you deeply Dr Oshuku you can contact him droshuku@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am cured from herpes

    result is 100% guarantee.

    R.buckler11 ((@ gmail. com ))……

    Wisconsin, United States  

    ReplyDelete