Organic Soil, Insects, and Insect Bites on Leaves

11:08 PM


It is easy to grow herbal and herb plants. But just watering these like decorative plants will not assure the nutritional benefits that we expect to get from it. Herbs are just like vegetables. They need extra care to be able to supply good health.

Organic Soil Mix

Most herbal and herb plants need a good mixture of soil to be healthy. Garden soil is loose when wet, but too tight when dry. Adding sand loosens up soil - providing aeration and also good drainage to bring out excess water.  It is important to note though that there are some herbs which prefer just sand with compost. An example of this is chamomile. But regardless of soil mix, organic fertilizer should be applied monthly so as to give the herbs, herbals and vegetables that required proper nutrition. (Visit Plant Care for more information).

Insects

Insects are part of the food chain.  Although there are beneficial insects, non-beneficial insects need to be driven away to prevent infestation for the herbs to survive.  When I water my herbs, I add crushed Oregano or any minty herb. When I pour it on the leaves, stems and soil, I often see insects flying away.  Even herbs that do not need daily watering surely wouldn't mind a little water trickling down their leaves and stem just to get rid of insects affecting them. Oregano water can also be sprayed or be squeezed out from a recycled dish washing bottle.

Insect Bites on Leaves

Insects are obvious when you see these black hairy creatures lying down on the leaves comfortably or hiding under leaves by pairs or in groups. But some insects are trickier to spot because they are too small.  When non-beneficial insects are not very visible, their presence can manifest in the reaction of the leaves. Leaves with insects and eggs tend to have a different form as compared to others. These can curl up, have a different color, or may even stick together. Some stems may even have black spots on them.

If any of the leaves or stems have insects and eggs, just remove the infected parts so that the plant will survive.  Crushed oregano may also be applied directly on the plant to prevent further infestation. Any minty herb may be used as natural pesticide.  Also, the infested stems and leaves can be soaked in water overnight to kill the pests and eggs. These may be used as mint water for the plants the next day.

According to Dr. Shinya, author of The Enzyme Factor, there is no such thing as “harmful insects” since everything in this world is interconnected. This is why I retain leaves with insect bites (as long as it has no eggs) because the insect’s body, hands and feet, while in contact with the plant, leave  an enzyme called chitin-chitosan. This enzyme is found in the hard covering of an insect’s body which is the same enzyme found in the shell of shrimps and crabs. Chitin-Chitosan enzyme is an additional nutrient for herbs and also vegetables. It is a factor that is absent in edible plants that are contaminated with chemicals and pesticides.

Gardening is challenging with the presence of insects.  But it is good to know that insects, whether helpful or termed as “harmful” have such a valuable, nutritious and delicious contribution.   


EM-EM TINASAS, MBA
The Gardener

Source:

Shinya, H. (2014). The enzyme factor: Diet for the future. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers (P) Ltd.

Photo from: www.atlanticavenuegarden.com

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. When i first found out that I'm HSV_2 positiv, my world came crashing dow" Not only did the guy that i caught it off ditch me, but he actually told all my friends that he got it from me. I found myself lying alone on my bed, depressed and crying at the thought of never being in a relationship or having childre. I knew i could never tell a guy i liked about my herpes After all, i knew that if i had been the other way around i most probably would have run a mile. A good friend of mine told me that she'd been in the same situation and she recommended me to a herbal doctor called Oshuku who helps her got rid of her own herpes so i contaced him and he prepared me his herbs and root which i used for weeks It's really amazing how thing works. I recently got married with the love of my life. my husband and I thank you deeply Dr Oshuku you can contact him droshuku@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete