Traveling Light And Green!

9:54 PM


This mid-October, I traveled by bus and ferryboat to Catanduanes, an island in the Bicol region,Philippines. I was with my first cousins, Angel and Cynthia, first cousin-in-law Elvie and nephew, Kit. Our other first cousins traveled by car while those with elderly parents took the plane.  It was a sad reunion because of the demise our dear uncle, retired Judge Pio Rodulfo. He comes from a family of 13 children including my late father, Godo.  Most of his siblings settled in Metro Manila and despite the distance, Tito Pio obliged himself to attend every occasion whether in joy or in sorrow. This time, it is our turn to go back to Bato, our hometown, to give him our final respect and be with his family in this hour of bereavement.

During our 11-hour bus ride, I offered my relatives my herb sandwiches but on condition that they taste it first then tell me if they are interested to take an entire sandwich. I remember them say, “Wow, it smells like pizza!” It was a concoction of cheese, garlic, pepper, a little olive oil plus herbs (cut into small pieces) from local Oregano, Basil, Dill and Pancit-pancitan (our indigenous vegetable), and a little anchovy (dilis).  They enjoyed the unique taste!  I also offered them  Tarragon leaves which they placed in their water bottle for aroma and fresh breath.


Get your Oregano, Basil, Dill, and Tarragon at https://herbalandherbs.wordpress.com/




Our next ride was a ferryboat/RORO.  The sea was so smooth and I enjoyed the 3-hour travel. Finally, I was able to try the much publicized Roll On-Roll Off or RORO ride!

At our hometown, during the wake, I gave away Ashitaba/Tomorrow Leaf stems with flyers to explain its uses.  Cynthia, Elvie and I were assigned to stay at the beautiful home of our first cousin Era and her husband, Ben.  For my toiletries, I brought my homemade Gugo shampoo, Aloe Vera hair rinse, Citro-Mint deodorant, Citro-Mint massage oil and mosquito repellant, and Aloe Vera Alcohol.

Get your Ashitaba, Gugo, Citronella, Peppermint and Aloe Vera at https://herbalandherbs.wordpress.com/

At breakfast, Elvie who is a dentist by profession asked me for Tarragon leaves and tried it with coffee and she enjoyed the blend very much.  She also enjoyed putting the leaves in the water bottle.  Practically Elvie and Tarragon became inseparable for several days.



Preparing to go home, at our last breakfast in Catanduanes, Cynthia requested for Oregano.  Ben dutifully gathered big leaves.  To their surprise we ate them like crunchy potato chips! (It is usually steeped or boiled as medicinal tea for colds and cough).  Then, Cynthia got a king-sized pan de sal, applied cheese spread, and placed Oregano as if it was lettuce and topped it with shrimps for her snack for the trip back home.  It looked good so I imitated minus the shrimps because I am allergic to crustaceans.




Seeing the Oregano there, the herbal observer in me noticed that the leaves in the island are medium-sized and have sharp blade-like edges compared to what I have in Metro Manila . The physical difference is caused by the cross-breeding with other plants and the ecology of  the area. Despite these, the properties remain the same.

And if you check the picture gallery of this website, Oregano comes in different sizes.  The Philipine Oregano can grow in different sizes – small, medium and  large (leaves can grow as  big as a hand).  In contrast, the Italian Oregano plant comes in very small leaves. But the appearance if you look closely, even the taste, and aroma is the same.  It would be good to note, too, that Oregano originated in the Mediterranean and Western Asia.  It’s name originated from the Greek word ‘Origanum’ meaning joy of the mountain.  No wonder Oregano flavor is common in Mediterranean dishes.

On the way to Metro Manila, we stopped over at Lucena.  I missed a step and my ankles bulged with soreness though I didn’t feel any pain. I immediately crushed Kataka-taka leaves on both feet and wore socks upon getting home and the following day, it was back to normal!

It has become my lifestyle to be green when at home.  So that when I had to travel,  it was automatic for me to bring my homemade products.  I am happy to see the excitement of many, once re-oriented to the natural world.  Surely, Mother Nature welcomes all with open arms!

EM-EM,
Herbal Gardener, MBA

Source: 

Britannica Micropaedia 1992

You Might Also Like

0 comments